Were we all thinking the same thing this morning? Thank God it’s finally raining. Although waking up to the gentle pitter-patter of raindrops on our window was a surprising delight; we couldn’t help to think that now our entire skincare routine has to change? Or does it?
Read on to explore if those rain showers actually affect your skin? Whether you’re a rain dance enthusiast or simply curious about the skincare perks of a drizzle, we’ve got you covered.
While rain can have some positive effects on the skin, it can also have negative effects, especially in certain conditions or for specific skin types. Here are some potential main effects of rain on the skin:
1. Moisture: Rain increases humidity in the air, which can be beneficial for your skin, especially if you have dry or sensitive skin. The added moisture can help hydrate your skin, reducing dryness and flakiness.
- Depending on your skin type, consider using a moisturiser, serum or oil (our Opulence Oil would be a good idea) to prevent over-drying or excessive hydration.
2. Cleansing: Rainwater is generally considered clean, and if it's a light rain, it can help wash away pollutants and allergens from the air. However, heavy rain can stir up dirt and pollutants from the ground, which may not be so beneficial.
So what should I do?
- After exposure to rain, cleanse your skin gently to remove any impurities that may have collected on the surface.
3. Humidity: High humidity can lead to excess moisture on your skin, which can potentially clog pores and lead to acne or breakouts.
- Make sure your skincare routine includes products suitable for humid conditions.
4. Dryness: Contrary to high humidity, low humidity after the rain can lead to skin dryness. If you experience this, consider using a good moisturizer to lock in hydration.
- If you wake up with flaky or dryer skin than normal, opt for a more intense product like an oil or serum to bring back the moisture and hydration in your skin. Consider using our Infinity Mask to lock in the hydration
Remember that the impact of rain on your skin can vary depending on individual factors, such as your skin type and the cleanliness of the rainwater. If you have concerns about how rain affects your skin, consult with a dermatologist for personalised advice and or drop us a DM to discuss the best use of our Genovi Beauty products.
In the meantime, you’ll find us curled up with a good movie and hot tea watching the rain drops fall. Who’s ready for autumn?